Pages

Wednesday 2 June 2010

Destination: Palestine


Jericho

"Why are you coming to Israel?"
"You are visiting the West Bank?"
"Are you an activist?"
"Clearly, you are educated from university, were you part of any groups?"
"What do you know about the political situation here?"
"What is your job? What do you do there? What company is it?"
"Why don’t you have a return ticket?"
"What do you mean you don’t have television? How do you keep up with the news?"
"If you see any demonstrations regarding the wall, there will be violence and the police will use force, I urge you to stay away from them as it will be harder for you to enter Israel. Israel is here to protect you."

Israeli kindness comes in the form of a) believing me and b) giving me a 3 month visa. I think their kindness was forced due to the fact that I arrived with my grandmother and little sister which cancelled their assumptions that I was an activist. My friend and I, being young, successful and rich, had to wait three hours after my grandmother and my little sister received their passports to get ours. If it wasn't for them, I'd probably still be at the border, being asked about my friends in Ramallah.

No comments:

Post a Comment