Pages

Wednesday 10 February 2010

the cigarette bum

"Excuse me, do you..."
She cuts him off, "I don't have a cigarette, sorry."
"How did you know I was going to ask you for one?" He asks.
"Why else would you talk to me? Why do people talk to each other in this country unless they want something?" She responds.
"I don't know, I could've wanted to ask you for the time or something. It's crazy how you knew!"
She pulls up her sleeves and says, "I'm not wearing a watch. And you look like you've got plenty of time."
"But I'm talking to you right now aren't I?"
"Yes, but only because you initially wanted something from me, and now you want to know the reasoning behind my theory," she says.
"It's kind of sad that's the only reason people talk to each other," he says.
"It is. But it's the nature of life here, individualism, what I want."
In the distance, his friend yells out, "Pedro, let's go!"
"Yeah hang on a second!" He yells back.
He looks back at her and says, "I'm sorry, you know."
"Don't be. It's okay. Everyone's used to it by now. Have a goodnight."

1 comment: